Friday, August 14, 2009

This Present Darkness

I was once told that my family and I were too politically-minded.
Too politically passionate.

Well, they were wrong about me.
I really am not passionate. I'm interested, but not passionate.
But I want to change that.

I have been blessed with parents and grandparents that are passionate about Christ-centered politics. But they are only passionate about these things because they have disciplined themselves on the issues, and have determined to independently stay informed.
I want to do the same.

I grew up being taught to follow what the Bible says.
The Bible says to be a good steward and citizen.
The Bible also says to be passionate about Christ; to stand for Him, what He teaches and to live a life patterned after Him.

****
America was born on Christian principles. Men and women, Christian and non, fought for these freedoms and the freedoms of the generations to follow.

I don't want these freedoms to die with me.

If I say I follow Christ, I have to be willing to stand for what He teaches: protect the innocent, love my neighbor, and to be self-sacrificing.

I believe not enough Christians are apart of the political realm...some think it is 'dirty' to be so close to the world.....well, Jesus had no problem 'dirtying' His hands in righteous anger against those desecrating His temple (Mark 11)....why should we casually disregard the people that are desecrating His principles in America?

I believe that this political battle in America is much bigger than our country.
I think it hits closer to: "we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places." Eph. 6:12 (esv)
****
For centuries Christ's followers were thrown in jail and killed for following Him.
The least I can do is read reliable news articles, vote intelligently, call my senators, and maybe even go to protests and town-hall meetings.

Then maybe, if God allows, my children won't have to be jailed or killed for being a Christ-follower.
****
And for the record, I don't think there is anything wrong with being a politically-passionate Christian. We won't get anywhere by burying our head in the sand...or hiding out in the woods.

L.s.R

1 comment:

brittandlauren said...

Preach it! I am right there with you!