Monday, April 19, 2010

I Remember Mama

When you get my mom and her five other siblings together, it is inevitable that 'Mama Stories' will be told. She was an amazing wife to a naval fighter pilot during the Korean and Vietnam Wars, and an amazing mother to seven children.


She radiated old Hollywood glamour with her poise and Grace Kelley curls, being a certified nurse she was competent and rational. She lived through very happy and very hard times. Grandama Jane comes to life for me whenever my Mom talks about her with her sisters. These stories usually start with, “You remember when Mama...." Grandma Jane was a marvelous cook. Throughout Papa’s naval career she would randomly rendezvous with him around the world. While on these globe-trotting trips she would pick up recipes from Japan, Spain, Italy and other places. After she got home she would adapt these recipes to her family's life-style. Many of these recipes are still used by my mom and aunts.

 
Last month I was suprised with Grandma Jane's 1960s Kitchen Aid mixer. It is in mint condition and works like new. I couldn't be more happy. To be able to use the same mixer that Grandma used to make her bread, cakes and other yummy foods makes my heart feel fuzzy and warm.

The christening of Mama's Mixer:









L.s.R

No comments: